Background Image for Header:
2020 CUMT Flyer
Special Notice 3/30/2020: Both CUMT and WVU are concerned about the status of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) health problems being faced in China and the rest of the world. The trip’s viability will be evaluated closer to the departure date if health concerns continue. As a result, WVU may cancel our participation in the program.
2020 CUMT Flyer
Information Prepared by CUMT About Summer School Program
WVU contacts: Richard Bajura 304-293-6034; or Annie Zeng 304-293-5614
US-China Energy Center, WVU Energy Institute
About AMEE Summer School
The Summer School of the International Alliance for Mining, Energy and Environment (AMEE Summer School) is comprised of substantial courses and culture experience activities, including professional curriculum and Chinese culture related courses. The Summer School has been held for 6 consecutive years starting from 2014 and attracted a total of 185 international students from over 20 universities across the world. Through interactions among students from different countries, the Summer School provides an opportunity for all participants to know each other and develop friendship.
Founded in 1909, China University of Mining and Technology (CUMT) is one of the key national universities under the direct administration of Ministry of Education of China. According to the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018, CUMT ranks the 19th in the subject area of Mineral and Mining Engineering in the world and top 1 in China. In QS 2019, CUMT ranks the 65th among Chinese mainland universities.
CUMT offers 58 undergraduate programs, 44 postgraduate programs (master degree)
and 17 doctoral programs. Currently the university has 2 campuses training over
35,000 students at bachelor or master or doctoral levels, including 830 International
students. CUMT boasts of 3,100 staff, of which 1977 are full-time teachers.
- Package A is Engineering and Science related module which mainly touches upon the fields of Mining, Safety, Geology, New Energy, and Environment
- Package B is Humanities and Social Science related module which covers International History, International Politics and Chinese Economy.
- Package C is Chinese Culture related module including Chinese Language, Chinese History and Politics, as well as cultural visits.
- Detailed course information will be displayed on the special program website in April when candidates are required to select courses online. Each course consists of 16 contact hours of work on the part of the student.
- Group meal will be included in every cultural visit activity.
Feedback from participants
“CUMT has the state-of-the-art laboratory equipment in mining area, which offers a very good atmosphere for scientific research and unforgettable experience for students when taking their courses. I feel lucky to have a good time there with the students in the Summer School.”-- Prof. Piotr Malkowski, AGH University of Science and Technology, Poland, Course Director of Rock Geology Investigations
“I was greatly attracted by the Chinese traditional history. The Taiji, Calligraphy,
and rubbings of Han Dynasty left me deep impressions. On the other hand, the
modernization of this country changed my mind on the development of China. I
really learned a lot from the Chinese economy and society.” -- Carolina Bruecker, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Reasons for Joining Us
- Convenient Transportation: Located in the northwest of Jiangsu Province in the east of China, the city is the hub of national transportation network. High speed trains let you reach Beijing or Shanghai in 3 hours.
- Long History and Profound Culture: With a civilization of over 6,000 years,
Xuzhou was built 2,600 years ago and is one of the most ancient cities in China.
As a city of Han Dynasty Culture, Xuzhou has numerous historical heritages, including
Han clay figurines, Han stone relief carvings and Han Tombs.
The off-campus accommodation within walking distance to the university is located in a shopping mall which provides easy access to various kinds of shops and restaurants with tasty food.
- Smart Classrooms
- National Key Laboratories
- Innovation Education Base
- Main Library: varieties of books, materials, and conformable self-study area
Richard Bajura, Acting Director US-China Energy Center
Suite 102 National Research Center for Coal and Energy Building WVU Energy Institute
Annie Zeng, Program Coordinator WVU Energy Institute
Suncrest Center Bldg., Ste. 310, 1085 Van Voorhis Road, Morgantown
Marje Riivald, Staff Assistant WVU Energy Institute
Suite 113 National Research Center for Coal and Energy Building
Mr. Zhang Zhenkang Program Director
Tel: +86 516 83590259
Fax: +86 516 83592001
Mr. Quan Xuehong Program Manager
Tel: +86 516 83995516
Fax: +86 516 83592005
Mr. Xu Yang Program Assistant
Tel: +86 516 83592004
Fax: +86 516 83592005
Address: No.1 Daxue Road, International Office China University of Mining and Technology Xuzhou, Jiangsu, P.R. China